Sunday, September 10, 2006

Will "Survivor" Live?

I guess you all have heard about the controversy surrounding the upcoming season of Survivor. If you haven’t, check it out here. Anyway, now that we’re all up to speed, let me just throw my 2 cents in there with everyone else’s. Are you ready? Here it is:

What’s the big deal? It’s a game that these people voluntarily agreed to play. And do you seriously believe they will be separated by, judged by and voted off by race for the entire season? No, they won’t. Remember last season when the first day on the island there were 4 teams created? They were old men, young men, old women and young women. And they were separated like this for about 3 days until they got through the first immunity challenge, after which they were all randomly mixed up and combined into 2 teams.

This whole racial tribe division will probably be done exactly the same way. It’s just a temporary arrangement designed to prove that the show can still come up with new twists. It was also designed to generate an audience and I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but they have definitely gotten plenty of attention. People are so outraged by the fact that contestants are going to be racially divided, that there will probably be tons of people watching the premiere episode (which airs Thursday, Sept. 14 on CBS) just to see how wrong the whole thing is.

So, I think Survivor is going to be fine. True, they will probably never get risky again in the area of race, but there will always be some other new twist. The thing I don’t understand is why everyone is all upset about the racially divided tribes, but no one ever mentioned the age and gender divisions from last season. I’m not saying I agree with the way the producers divided the tribes this season, I’m just saying that it’s being blown way out of proportion. And I realize it's controversial so let me be clear in pointing out this is all just my humble little opinion.

Tags: News, Rambling

No comments: