Saturday, September 23, 2006

A Pretty Good Day

Today my sister Wendy and my neice Emma came into to town to do a little shopping, so I got a chance to spend some quality time with them this evening. We didn't do anything spectacular, just did a little bit of shopping and ate some Chinese food. Actually, in case Wendy reads this I should point out that we ate Bourbon Chicken from Max Oriental in the Battlefield Mall. She's pretty passionate about her Bourbon Chicken, so I want to make sure I mention it.

So, we sat down and had a nice conversation over some good food and then we spent some time in the mall shopping for a new outfit for Emma. Her birthday is Oct. 9th (she will be 13), but her mom was letting her pick out a pair of pants and a shirt a few weeks early. We successfully found both items at Aeropostale, but man did it take some work. That place was packed and therefore, the tables were trashed. It was like digging through the free clothes table at a church rummage sale. Emma actually ended up settling for some jeans that will have to be hemmed before she can wear them because everything was so jumbled together, we couldn't find the length she needed. I guess it's possible they just didn't have any, but I'm gonna blame it on the fact that everything was so disorganized.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about Aeropostale at all. They had plenty of workers in the store who were trying their best to keep the clothes folded. But when you have a huge crowd of people who have to pick everything up and then throw it back down in a crumpled ball, the workers can't keep up. Last winter I worked at Old Navy for some extra Christmas money and I remember very clearly how frustrating it is to watch people do that. I understand you need to hold a shirt up to see what it looks like, but can't you try to put it back nicely? Not only that, but I used to notice customers who would pick up a solid blue polo (for example) to see it, then wad it up and toss it down only to pick up a solid pink one and unfold it also. Then it would be thrown down and they would move on to the next color. Here's a hint - all of the solid polos look the exact same except for the color and you can see the color without unfolding it.

But I digress. The point of this post was just to say that I had a pretty good day today. I got to spend time with two people I love and it was a carefree day with none of us rushing around or getting stressed out. We had some great conversations and we even went out for some Andy's frozen custard before they went home. I sure wish more of my family would come up to see me instead of me always being the one who has to do the travelling. Hopefully Wendy will come back soon and bring all 3 of her kids so I can have another fun Saturday evening.

P.S. - If any of you happen to know my sister and you want to see one of her hysterical laughing fits, just ask her about Harry Potter.

Tags: Family

No comments: