Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I Still Hate Spiders

I am an arachnaphobe and I am very serious about it. I fear spiders way more than I fear snakes or other things most people are typically scared of. So, I was all excited when I spotted the MSN headline "Woman bitten by spider loses 10 lbs. of skin". I was not excited because a woman was injured, I am sorry to hear about her ordeal, but because most people think it is silly to be afraid of spiders and this story would have helped me prove there is a reason to be scared.

Unfortunately, I am dedicated to trying to ensure my blog entries are accurate, so before I typed up a huge "spiders suck" post, I decided to read more stories about the incident to get all of the facts correct. And what I found was this article - "Creeping suspicions about story of hobo spider bite". Apparently, the hobo spider has never really been known to cause such a severe injury before, so no one is positive that's what happened. But this second article does mention the seriousness of a brown recluse bite (which we have an abundance of in this area) and the fact that black widows can be fatal.

So, I still have a legitimite reason to be terrified of spiders. And trust me when I say I am. All spiders, any size. And their webs. Nothing is worse than walking to your car at night and hitting a spider web across the face. I immediately lapse into screaming hysterics.

Some of you may share my fear of spiders, some of you may be laughing and making fun of me. But, I am not scared of worms, crickets, cute little furry mice, etc. So, don't make too much fun of me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the part about you and the screaming hysterics was fun to visualize :p

...roseykrh said...

and trust me when I say it's not the least bit exaggerated