Saturday, February 17, 2007

Seriously? Britney Spears?

I used to consider myself an intelligent person, but after realizing that I just spent a good 3 minutes writing up a post about Britney Spears, I'm not so sure anymore. Wow, what has become of me?

When I was younger, if you asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I would tell you that I was gonna write stories that made people happy. At about 9 or 10 I had decided that I was going to travel the world and write articles for National Geographic. As I became a teenager I still wanted to write stories, but had discovered (and fell in love with) Stephen King's books. So I was determined to write horror novels. In my early twenties I started spewing out poetry really quickly and concentrated mostly on that. Now, in my thirties I can't even maintain an entertaining blog. Not only that, but my un-entertaining posts aren't even written that well. Damn that sucks! Guess it's a good thing I got a computer degree instead of waiting for money to come in from my first novel.

I would love to start working on fixing what's gone wrong with my writing. I really did used to be able to mold words into fathomable sentences and ideas. Unfortunately, I don't really know why it's gone bad. So, I don't really know where to begin to fix it. I do know that I still have my ability to take something written by someone else, such as a history report for school, and make it absolutely amazing. And I'm wondering if that doesn't indicate that my problem is more of an imagination/creativity issue rather than a word issue. Hmmm...I will have to think about that.

Anyway, sorry about the Britney Spears thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I imagine it has very little to do with actual writing. There are times where the creativity well just doesn't come up with the same quality it used to.

I don't know everything but I feel that sometimes, you have to change things up.

Think about the small things. Take time to see and recognize everything in your daily grind. You will be amazed at the places it takes your mind. You will find that writer in the place you least expect her. There is a link below showing an example of what I am talking about. It is a very small happening but it was inspiring to me. Best of luck to you..

http://zachishere.com/2006/06/28/maybe-i-am-strange/

...roseykrh said...

Thanks Zach!