Saturday, February 03, 2007

Are You Ready For Some ... Commercials?

Anyone who knows me knows that I love to watch football...when the KC Chiefs play. Other than that, I can take it or leave it. So why do I love to watch the SuperBowl every year? It's certainly not to see the Chiefs!

Instead, it's a matter of tradition. An excuse for a party that comes along every year. A day devoted to all manner of junk food and snacks that can be eaten without feeling guilty. A time to hang out on the couch all day, surrounded by family and friends, dressed in sweatpants and t-shirts and being allowed to jump up and down, yelling and screaming while eating in the living room. It's awesome to have that kind of casual, no-worries freedom.

But, for me (and a lot of other people out there) it's a night of SUPER COMMERCIALS! The football game itself is exciting. I love to root against the Patriot's, Cowboy's or Bronco's. I always want the underdog to win. But when I need to get up and refill my drink or go to the bathroom, I will go during a 4th down play on the 1 yard line just to avoid missing a commercial.

There have been some classic commercials. One of my favorites is the McDonalds ad called "the showdown" where Michael Jordan and Larry Bird shoot baskets "over the 2nd rafter, off the floor, nothing but net." And that's just one of many. Pepsi, Coke and Nike are always among the best of the best. But if I had to pick one company who consistently has the best SuperBowl ads, it would definitely be Budweiser. I totally love the "horses playing football" spots that they have came out with for years now. If you are interested in seeing some commercials from previous years, go HERE and click on the different years available on the top right side of the page.

If you want to recap the funniest ones from this year, you can check them out and vote for them beginning Monday by going HERE

I am ready for some commercials. And I also want to mention that I am rooting for both Rex Grossman and Payton Manning, so I guess it doesn't matter who wins the game.

No comments: