Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Today is the "Thriller"est day of them all



27 years ago today, Dec. 1, 1982, was the day that Michael Jackson released a little album called "Thriller". Man, that means I am old. I was 12 when the album dropped. And when I say album, I literally mean a vinyl record. Remember those things? Digital music is so clean and convenient but I gotta be honest... I miss the sound of static from a needle on a record. Seriously. But not as much as I miss Michael Jackson. Not just the Michael Jackson that died earlier this year, but the Michael Jackson who used to create music and videos and perfomances that would stop you in your tracks. And the Thriller album is where he first established himself as the "King of Pop". I can actually remember almost every scene of his "Billie Jean", "Beat It" and "Thriller" videos. They are 3 of the best videos ever made. Best videos ever made.

Woah, I almost had a Kanye moment there. Lol. Anyway, I know most people these days aren't fans of Michael. But if you grew up in the middle of the Thriller phenomenom, you'd have a much better understanding. The album flipped open to reveal a picture of Michael lying down in a white suit, propped up on his elbow looking into the camera sorta shyly and petting a baby tiger. I pinned the actual record jacket open on my wall like it was a centerfold. I still love that picture. Crap, now I gotta go find an image of it to post here.

In the meantime, watch the Thriller video. It seriously is a huge piece of musical history.

No comments: