Monday, October 08, 2007

It's All About The Fun, Not The Score

I have been to Arrowhead Stadium to watch the KC Chiefs play football at least 10 times over the years and every trip is just as spectacular as the very first one. This past weekend, I got to go again after a 4 year absence and my Chiefs addiction has been revived. I don't care if you have been to other NFL stadiums, or if you hate the Chiefs, or even if you don't like football at all - there's nothing like the Arrowhead experience. You have simply got to check it out. I have pictures below, just keep in mind it was sprinkling and overcast all day so the pictures are not as good as they could have been.

First of all - it's the loudest stadium in the NFL. And they ain't kidding.



Second of all - the stadium and field are breathtakingly beautiful. (which may be true of other stadiums)

Here's the view at field level.



Here's the view from my seat.



All of my trips to Arrowhead have always been fun. The tailgating in the parking lot is enough to entertain you even if you don't have a ticket to the game. But this trip had an extra added bonus. I got the tickets through my cousin Shawn and his wife Crystal who went to the game with us also. They have recently met and befriended the KC Superfans. In fact, Shawn is working on a costume so that he can become a KC Superfan and help with the charity events they donate their time to.

Because we were there with Shawn, Scott and I got to meet The X Factor & Red Xtreme. In fact, we went up Saturday night and stayed at Red Roof Inn and Red Xtreme and his wife came over to visit at the hotel. These people are really cool and they do amazing things for charities. It was awesome walking through the parking lot with them. They are treated just like celebrities. It takes forever to get anywhere because someone is always wanting a picture with them. And these guys are so sweet, they never turn anyone down.

Here's The X Factor on the left and Red Xtreme on the right.



Here's a rare glimpse of me with Red Xtreme (notice the stadium in background).



We also got to go over to where the family and friends of Chiefs player Boomer Grigsby (#46) were having their tailgate party and hang out with them. Everyone was very kind even though I was a stranger. We were told we could come back after the game to meet Boomer and get autographs, but unfortunately the massive downpour of rain at the end of the 4th quarter made us run for the car and head home.

Here is the tailgate party.



Here is Boomer warming up before the game.



And here he is with some of his fans.



With about 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter, with the Chiefs down 17 - 0, the rain started falling and Scott and I decided to pack it in for the day. So, we actually missed the touchdown that KC scored in the closing seconds of the game. But, we did get to see our team sack the QB several times.



Here's how we knew the rain was going to be bad.



And this is what it looked like as we waited in traffic and shivered in our wet clothes.



It sure was a great trip despite the rain and the loss. I had forgotten how pumped up that place actually gets me. In fact, if any of you would be interested in just going up and partying in the parking lot during a home game, let me know. I might not be able to afford tickets to multiple games a year, but I would love to go up and tailgate.

1 comment:

Lola said...

I'm so jealous! I've never been to a chiefs game at Arrowhead but I've been to other sporting events and you are right about the stadium-it's awesome!