Thursday, January 04, 2007

How The Hell Did That Happen?

Sunday was an amazing day for KC Chiefs fans. A freaky day filled with a whole series of games that should not have gone the way they did. But, the stars aligned and Lady Luck showered us with her blessings - the Chiefs made the playoffs!

Not only did I have to stress out over the nerve-wracking game that was played in Arrowhead (final score 35-30), I also had to worry about the fact that both the Tennessee Titans and the Cincinnati Bengals had to lose their games. They were both going up against really strong teams so I was pretty optimistic about those losses and indeed both teams did end up losing. But in order for the Chiefs to slide into post-season play, a third team had to lose. The San Francisco 49er's had to beat the Denver Bronco's in Denver at Mile High Stadium. I wasn't expecting that to happen at all. The Niner's haven't exactly had a great year and usually have trouble winning on the road. I figured the Bronco's would trample them pretty easily. But the game was very exciting to watch and even ended up in overtime where San Fran finally kicked a field goal to win 26-23. By the end of it all, I had absolutely no fingernails left.

Normally seeing Denver lose to anybody during any point of the season just tickles me to death, but although I did enjoy the fact that they lost the game, I was devastated to hear that they lost a player later that night. Cornerback Darrent Williams was killed in a drive-by shooting hours after the game. He will be missed, he was a great player and seemed to be an outstanding young man.

No comments: